Undergraduate Adult

About Undergraduate Adult


Now registering for Session II

If you want to check your grades, pay your bill, review your financial, register for a course, go to Student Self Service to be able to that and many other options.


How do I get a parking decal?

The application for a parking decal is now online.

How do I get a student ID?

Email Amanda.Desai@nichols.edu to schedule a time to get a Nichols photo ID.

What is the difference between dropping a course with a refund and withdrawing from a course?
  • If a student drops a course by the last day of the add/drop period for the session, the student will receive a 100% refund for the course.
  • If a student withdraws from a course by the course withdrawal date no refund will be given and a course grade of "W" will be entered.
I have financial aid questions?

Please contact the SFS office with all questions, 508-213-2288 or email the office at sfs@nichols.edu

I have questions about my bill.

Contact the Student Financial Service office at 508-213-2288 or email them at sfs@nichols.edu

Contact Us

Contact Information

(508) 213-2141
(508) 213-2038

Office Hours

Mon-Fri: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Summer Office Hours

Mon-Thu: 8:00AM - 6:00PM
Friday: Closed


Academy Hall, Suite 200

Meet Our Team

Laura Hunter

Director of Enrollment for Undergraduate Adult Education

Lindsay Reid

Academic Advisor/Transfer Coordinator